the margrave quartet

Friday, January 11, 2008

Elallaiden

Oh, Ellaiden, Ellaiden, Ellaiden.... I picked her up from school a couple days ago and brought her home for her nap. Unfortunately, she had gone to sleep for 5 minutes so she wasn't up for much more of the nap. I put her in her bed and heard her playing for about half an hour and then I heard it. Knock, knock, knock... Surely not. I walk down the hall with a heavy heart. I open her door and sure enough there she is looking up at me asking for something to drink. She has done it. She has escaped her crib. What do I do now? Do I cry? Do I call her father? What I did was get her something to drink and then let her destroy the house because I couldn't leave the chair I plopped myself down in. What does this mean for the future? My two to three hour windows of peaceful selfishness gone? Will I have to fight the "I don't want to take a nap" battle? How did she get those chips she is eating? How did she get them open and where did she get that plate she is putting them on? When did my 21 month old baby turn into a little adult?

Our solution: the pack-n-play! What a glorious solution. We will just put her in it for a while until we can figure out a better solution. Or until the following morning when she climbed out of it and started knocking on her door to get out. So, now she is in her converted crib.

What this has meant is one day of an hour and a half of calmly putting her back in her bed and spanking her when she would get out. (Yes, I know you may not agree with this method.) This did not work the first day.

The second day I left her at school for nap time and she went to sleep there like she always does on her nap mat.

Today she played in her room for about 30 minutes without knocking on her door to come out. I looked under the door and could see her running from place to place having a grand old time. After 30 minutes she got bored so she started knocking to come out. I opened the door to find her completely naked, both closets open, things pulled out, and various other items in her room moved and examined. My response was to inwardly laugh and put her clothes back on and put her back in bed where I left her with Jones (her lovey), her blanket, and her magna doodle. Wait, magna doodle? I found it in her bed when I went to put her back. I guess she had dragged it up there in one of her explorations around her room. Five minutes later she is crying so I go in to check on her and can't find her. Ah-ha! The closet! She is buried in the middle of her closet among the empty diaper boxes and she can' t get out. I get her out and put her back in bed. 10 minutes later she has fallen asleep in front of her door on the hard floor. Thank you God! I do feel sorry for her though because she is on the hard floor. I'll move one of her rugs in front of it for next time.

Night time is a little different. Chris puts her in bed and we don't hear anything from her until we check on her and find her asleep on the comforter we put on the floor next to her bed. We haven't figured out if she is falling out of her bed or climbing down there but at least she is getting some sleep. We are going this weekend to invest in a full size bed that we can put a bed-rail on. We will see how that goes...

Ellaiden is however the queen of kisses. I bet I get a thousand kisses a day and just as many pats on my back. She is learning some new words. Chris taught her "dude" tonight and she is diligently practicing it. She loves to put stuff in the trash can and has learned how to scrunch up her eyebrows and give you a dirty look. Oh, Ellaiden, Ellaiden, Ellaiden...

7 Comments:

  • her daddy at 18 months: flips himself over the side of the crib and down to the floor. the only way we can keep him in his room is to put the doorknob protector on so he can't open the door. he pitches a fit and cries himself to sleep. when we go to bed hours later, we glance down the hall and see 5 little fingers reaching under the door into the hall. he's fast asleep on the floor. well, he IS 28 and he DOES sleep in a bed now. when he was three we got smart (or really stupid). at night, i put a bowl of cereal on the kitchen table with a paper towel over it. i put a small glass of milk and a small glass of oj in the refrig. he got up by himself and went to the kitchen and fixed his cereal, turned on the tv and watched cartoons til we got up (we were awake and aware - just not out of bed yet). the joys of being cribless. gram

    By Blogger Gram, At 10:39 PM  

  • This all sounds too familiar! Just wait until she can open the door(s) and walk right on out or go in rooms...childproof doorknob covers are a great investment!

    By Blogger Darby, At 2:37 PM  

  • we are laughing out loud. she is too funny! -mel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:26 PM  

  • oh ellaiden. you made your aunt lyssa laugh. the image of you stuck in your closet is priceless. hang in there, ya'll...this too shall pass....ha!

    By Blogger redbyrd, At 12:33 PM  

  • this makes me laugh and brings back memories of caleigh and alona and the day that they escaped their cribs!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:30 PM  

  • Oh my goodness - I am laughing really hard. But I don't know whether to laugh or be really scared! Naomi is not too far behind...

    By Blogger kristen, At 7:42 AM  

  • get the crib tent! my 2 year old niece started crawling out of her bed but wasn't ready for a big girl bed, so they put a tent on top to keep her in there. she thinks it is very fun and it keeps her in her bed. everybody's happy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home